Full ROM is usually achieved operatively unless otherwise stated. The aim of rehab is to retain that motion. Therefore early and active rehab is started as soon as possible post-operatively.
Normally stay as inpatient overnight to start rehabilitation.
- Passive & active ROM is begun
- Ensure the joint is taken through all planes of movement
- Reduce pain to enable ROM to be achieved (ice / cryocuff if required)
- Restore full ROM as quickly as possible through passive & active assisted exercise, maintain & improve this range
- Ensure normal movement pattern with ROM
- Improve shoulder strength through a graduated strengthening programme
- Continue physio until the patients’ full potential has been reached
|6 Weeks||ROM greater than the pre-op range|
|6 Months||Full ROM achieved|